(words chosen in homage to Lao Tse
in his Tao Te Ching)
THE TEN THOUSAND CREATURES:
the living beings
THE HUNDRED FAMILIES:
the human beings
the one who rules
the one who knows
the one who serves
THE SAGE: the sage
A little note for fun...
- Hello, cousin! Back from the countryside?
- As you can see, Iíve just arrived in Paris!
- Happy to see you again! How's high school going?
- The same daily round! What about you, you changed institution?
- Do you enjoy it?
- Friendly! And a strange guy.
- How so?
- He spends all his time sleeping...
- A dunce?
- Not at all! Top in math and physics... in a nutshell, good at everything!
- He must be the kind of guy who works without being known.
- Itís obvious. But that is not the reason why he is strange. From time to time, he wakes up and makes a big statement about what we must do.
- You mean about math, for instance.
- Not at all! About moral philosophy.
- Indeed? About philosophy? Is he good?
- He gets good marks. Nevertheless, according to what the teacher says at school, he writes very common things
- Then? When he speaks to us, he tells us that we must do all what he orders, otherwise, weíve got to get a lot of tragedy.
- He orders you?
- Well, itís what he pretends. But as he immediately falls asleep and doesnít take care of us anymore
- Itís curious
And what kind of orders does he give you?
- Generally, truisms, everyone knows and agrees with, more or less.
- So it is not very difficult to obey him.
- No, yet there is a condition; you must tell him that you do it only because he ordered us to do so, and because we are sure he is right.
- What an odd guy! Well, if he doesnít bother you far more
- No, no; our philosophy teacher takes care of that. Mind the bad marks!
The Thought of the Day
by Serge Bassenko
THE MASTER HAS A CHARIOT CONSTRUCTED
FOR THE SAGE
THE SAGE MEANT TO WALK
All rights reserved 2000